Maeengan's Wolf Den

Where Maeengan is free to ramble on about his life in the middle of the Canadian praires.

Thursday, March 17, 2005

Memories from the Rez . . . Back in '84

When I was a boy, I spent my summers back home on the rez, in Lac Seul First Nation. If you drive east on the Trans-Canada Highway from Winnipeg, Manitoba, it'll take you pretty much there. It's near Sioux Lookout, Ontario. It's one of the best places in Canada to go fishing and camping.

I spent my summers there, living with my uncle's. I would bunk up with them and they would let me do my own thing with my cousins. We'd spend hours in the bush, playing Star Wars and G.I Joe. For the most part, I got to be Han Solo 'cause I had a crush on Princess Leia.

Back in those days, we didn't have electricity and we were pretty isolated. You either had to fly in a plane, or drive a boat to get to the reserve.

You could catch a plane in 'Sioux', or in Hudson. In Hudson, there was Starret Airways (and if you go to the Western Canadian Aviation Museum here in the 'Peg, you'll see his plane on display), or in 'Souix' it was with Knobby's.

Well one day, I was coming back from a day of hanging out with my cousins. Coming back for some supper. I got to my uncle's place, and old uncle Gilbert is locking up the house. I was wondering, what's going on here?

As it were, we were going in to town to watch a movie at the Mayfair Theatre in 'Sioux'. You have to understand; the ride into town by plane is 20 minutes, by boat - it's an hour and half.

Uncle Gilbert is pulling out the gas tanks from the shed and hauling them down to the boat. His wife is sitting in the boat, along with Poonch and his wife.

It's about five in the evening before we set off. We motor on the lake, and I'm wondering (as ten year old boys do), what movie we're about to see.

We arrive about 6:30, just enough time catch a cab from the Marina to the Mayfair.

As we're settling in to our seats, Uncle Gilbert comes back with popcorn and fried chicked.

The credits open up, "Lo and Behold when the waters drank Atlantis, it was a time of high adventure - a time for Conan!"

It was 'Conan the Destroyer'!

It was a side to my uncle that I had never seen before, don't know if I shared in too much. But, a memory that I have of him. Uncle Gilbert worked as a foreman, building houses, fighting fires, and as a guide for American fishermen. He was a hunter, fisherman, and man who could handle a chainsaw pretty good. He taught me alot of good things, when it came to work, and in the bush. A practical man.

But, for the moment, we were watching 'Conan the Destroyer' together.

When the movie ended that evening, we only had 30 minutes of sunlight. Uncle Gilbert drove in the dark, expertly guiding the boat along the myriad of lakes the jutted in and out along out route. He knew enough about the land, that I bet, he could've driven the route blindfolded.

I spent the rest of the trip huddled in blankets and slept underneath the stars as Uncle Gilbert drove us back home on the rez.

It was the first and only time, that I have ever been to a movie theatre with him.

Talk to you later!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home